Sunday, June 1, 2008

Harbo(u)r

Busy busy, two weeks left. Classes are coming to an end here, and I've got a few things to do. We deliver our program we've been working on all semester to the client on Thursday, and I think all will go well. I'm in charge of quality assurance and testing, and have learned a bit of PHP in the past couple weeks so I feel pretty good about my progress in Software Engineering. Otherwise, my only other project is a group presentation about Maori and Norse creation stories for Intro to Culture and Society. My roommates are Randi, a Dane, and Jaime, a Canadian. It should turn out well, even though I have the feeling Randi and I will be shouldering most of the load.

Speaking of Randi, I had my first modeling shoot this past Friday. She is taking a photography paper, and needed an Adam for her portfolio. Well, the idea was to have two sets of photos, one of Eve biting the apple and one of Adam overcome with grief and anger. I sat in a chair in a photo studio with my shirt off and tried my hand at acting after Randi poured water on my face, faux tears. I'm excited to see how they turn out, I'll have some prints to take home with me.

I got a hold of my travel agent, and I'll be flying home June 16. Soon, I know. Too soon for me, but what can you do. It's strange leaving this place, our surrogate home, spending your last days with friends that you may never see again. I've gotten close to quite a few people, whether it's obvious or not. I will miss my friend Bianca the most, but now I have an excuse to hop the pond to Europe. To visit, to live? Who knows..

Here's what the clouds over the city looked like yesterday afternoon. My window is a little dirty.



I went to a standup show this earlier week, it was a really good time. There were four comics, each representing their style well. The audience was small, the crowd interaction made the show really fun. Kiwi humo(u)r seems to be a little behind American humor though, probably because of the sheer amount of comic output in the states.

Anyways, I took a walk to the west harbor today. I hadn't been there yet. Auckland is so massive, it's been an endeavor to see all the city has to offer. I'm sure trying though. I sneaked my way into one of the docks, following a man with a canoe through the locked gates. The yachts there are insane, nicer than a lot of apartments I've been in. I was bummed that I couldn't walk across the harbor bridge to Devonport, but I'm taking the ferry there tomorrow to do some bushwalking. Here are some pictures I took on the way to the harbor.

No comments: